Tonight on Your Health First, Dr. Joe Galati will be joined by Anthony Santos, R.N., Nurse Practitioner, who for the past 10 years has specialized on diabetic patients and diabetic care. Anthony has just started working at Liver Specialists of Texas. Also joining tonights conversation will be Helen Yuan, RD, who manages the fatty liver cases at Liver Specialists of Texas with Dr. Galati.
Tonight, they will discuss the following topics:
- Statistics on diabetes
- Type 1 vs Type 2
- Risk factors for diabetes
- What is the general perception by the patient as to what diabetes is?
- What are the educational/knowledge gaps with the public regarding diabetes?
- Complications of diabetes?
- General comments on therapy for diabetes: insulin vs oral medicines?
- Comment on “tight control” of diabetes?
- Have we lost the ability to be “intensive” with DM control?
- It takes work and sacrifice. Are patients willing to do this?
- New technology in managing diabetes (pumps, etc…)
- Role of diet in diabetes?
- Are there foods you should never eat if diabetic?
- Foods you should eat if diabetic?
- What’s the message to everyone listening tonight?
- If you have diabetes
- You have been told you are pre-diabetic
- You have a family member with diabetes
- You don’t want to get diabetes (i.e. prevention of…)
- Should you be seeing a diabetes specialist vs your FP?
Below are links to useful sites.