Dr. Galati put together this list of his top 10 tips for a healthy liver. Download the list here, and review them posted below.
Share them with your friends and family. Liver disease is more common than the public is aware of, and knowing these facts can certainly safe a life.
Dr. Joe Galati’s Top-Ten Tips for a Healthy Liver
- Limit your alcohol intake – men should not consume more than 2 alcoholic beverages/day and women no more than 1 alcoholic beverage/day. Note: beer/wine/spirit are all the same regarding alcohol content.
- Maintain a healthy weight. If overweight or obese, try and lose a minimum of 10% of your body weight now.
- Exercise regularly and attempt to complete 10,000 steps/day.
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is potentially toxic to your liver. Never take more than the recommended dose and avoid taking it if you have been consuming alcohol.
- If you have ever been told your liver tests in your blood have been elevated, regardless of the results, you need to have a comprehensive evaluation. Talk with your doctor.
- Get vaccinated for hepatitis A and hepatitis B.
- If you have been told you have a “fatty liver” you are at risk for more serious liver problems – even cirrhosis. Make plans for a complete evaluation.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables and exclude all processed foods. Avoid foods that come in a can, box, or bad.
- Make sure you consume between 35-40 grams of dietary fiber each day.
- Beware of herbal supplements and other “natural” products that claim to cleanse or protect the liver. These are unregulated products and claims that can lead to serious, even fatal complications.